Deeply-skilled Machine Learning Engineer
Our mission is to improve the lives of people living with a skin disease. We develop image recognition-based artificial intelligence to give both patients and doctors a better understanding of the development of skin diseases, improving diagnoses, and making it easier to find the right personalised combination of treatment and lifestyle.
Our focus is on chronic diseases such as psoriasis or eczema, where misdiagnosis rates can be as high as 55%. Access to dermatologists involves long waiting times, and it often takes years of struggle to get correctly diagnosed and find a way to manage the disease.
Who you are
You have gathered substantial expertise and knowledge in one or multiple deep learning avenues. You have encountered the highlights and lowlights, what critic and hype is justified, and now you are looking to apply all your skills to make a real impact and help people with products building on your research successes. You apply dedication, systems and lateral thinking, and perseverance to your work, and you thrive well in a non-hierarchical, collaborative and fast-paced setting where you take initiative and drive outcomes towards the shared goals.
This is a senior position, and you will work with a small team on the big challenge to establish AI-powered diagnosis or severity assessment capabilities with sensitivity and specificity towards the 90s. Working closely with others with machine learning, computer vision and also product, business and medical background, your core tasks will be to…
- Define, implement, test, and iterate on deep learning approaches to reach our goal of AI-assisted diagnosis and severity assessments based on real-world, user-generated data
- Maintain a steady stream of deep learning experiments, choosing which abstractions not to build and building the right ones at impressive speed
- Contribute to and iterate on novel un/semi/supervised learning algorithms
- Optimise the ML infrastructure on AWS as it scales up,
- Communicate hypotheses, your test and learn approach, progress, and results to technical and non-technical team members
The ideal candidate
We are looking for individuals to join our multidisciplinary team in central Copenhagen. You are hungry for making an impact within healthcare and want to contribute to solutions with the potential to improve millions of lives.
As our ideal candidate, you have:
- 5+ years of industry and/or research experience in machine and ideally deep learning-focused roles
- Good grasp of neural networks, linear algebra, probability/stats, and computer science fundamentals – so usually, you would have a MS/PhD in Data Science/Machine learning/Computer Vision/Computer Science but this is not a requirement for exceptional candidates
- Experience in shipping products which leverage AI
- Hands-on, pragmatic, and thorough execution when designing loss functions, tuning hyperparameters or debugging back prop equations
- Strong Python skills
- Ability to communicate – both written and orally – and document technical information clearly and succinctly to both technical and non-technical teams
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance
- Experience with setting up pipelines for real-world machine learning problems, and preparing and processing real datasets, training classifiers, train/test split, etc.
- Computer vision background is a big plus
- Experience with image processing
- Experience with GANs
- Experience working on data pipelines at scale
- Software engineering background
- Experience developing software as a medical device
- Good judgement on avoiding premature optimisation and local maxima
- Pragmatic attitude, focused on shipping instead of infinite research
- Experience customising neural networks with Tensorflow
- Want to grow into a leadership role
What we offer
- A unique opportunity to turn leading edge research into making a real impact on the lives of people suffering from skin diseases
- Competitive salary, pension contribution, and premium health insurance
- Flexible holidays and an extra week after 9 months, so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Employee discounts for a range of activities and shops
- We have an on-site chef to serve lunch every weekday, have team breakfasts every Friday and if you are running low in the afternoon, you can fuel up with a selection of snacks
- MacBooks and super-ultra-wide screens as your productivity base – unless you prefer otherwise
On leoinnovationlab.com, you can read more about us, the Innovation Lab, and the role we play within health tech. At LEO Innovation Lab, we recruit from the widest possible pool and hire the best person for the job because diversity makes us stronger. And once you are on board, you will find that we offer equal opportunities to everyone.
Great people often know great people – and since sharing is caring, please share this post if you have a friend who would love this job!
How to apply
Apply by sending your resume and motivational letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will invite applicants for interviews on a rolling basis until we have found the right people.
Please if available include a link to your portfolio/GitHub for us to see samples of your projects.